King Age II and you will Queen Victoria will be a couple longest-providing monarchs when you look at the Uk background. Victoria, whom reigned away from 1837 to help you 1901, mainly based many precedents one Elizabeth keeps honored once the she is actually crowned into the 1952. How are the a couple strong queens associated? Just what are their loved ones ties?
When she came into this world on may twenty four, 1819, not many people think Alexandrina Victoria manage 1 day feel king. This lady father, Prince Edward, was the fresh new last in line to succeed his dad, the newest reigning Queen George III. During the 1818, the guy get married Little princess Victoria regarding Saxe-Coburg-Saalfeld, a great widowed German princess with two college students. The merely boy, Victoria, came to be the coming year.
Towards Jan. 23, 1820, Edward passed away, and make Victoria next lined up. Just months after, on the Jan. 29, Queen George III passed away, getting been successful of the his kid George IV. When he passed away during the 1830, the following in-line, Frederick, got already died, and so the top went William, Victoria’s youngest cousin. Queen William IV governed up to he died no lead heirs for the 1837, just months after Victoria, the heir-noticeable, turned 18. She are crowned into June twenty-eight, 1838.
Conventions of time have been the king have to have an effective king and you will consort, and her maternal brother got trying fits the woman with Prince Albert out of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Aug. 26, 1819 so you can Dec. 14, 1861), good German prince who had been plus linked to the woman. Shortly after a preliminary courtship, the 2 have been marry on Feb. 10, 1840. Ahead of Albert’s dying from inside the 1861, the 2 got 9 people. One of them, Edward VII, turned into the newest king of great Great britain. This lady almost every other youngsters create ilies regarding Germany, Sweden, Romania, Russia, and you may Denmark.
King Elizabeth II
Elizabeth Alexandra Mary of the house out-of Windsor was given birth to into the April 21, 1926 towards Duke and you can Duchess from York. Elizabeth, also known as “Lilibet” once the a kid, got one to younger brother, ). When she was born, Elizabeth is actually 3rd in-line to the woman grandfather’s throne, trailing their father along with his elderly sibling, Edward, new Prince off Wales.
When Queen George V, man out-of Edward VII, passed away in the 1936, the fresh top went along to Elizabeth’s cousin Edward, however, he abdicated so you can erican. Elizabeth’s father turned Queen George VI. Their death on the Feb. six, 1952 cleared just how to possess Elizabeth to progress him, and stay Britain’s first king since the King Victoria.
Elizabeth’s Family members
Age and her future husband, Prince Philip away from Greece and you can Denmark (June 10, 1921) met once or twice given that children. These were partnered on Nov. 20, 1947. Philip, that has renounced their international headings, took the newest surname Mountbatten and you can turned Philip, Duke off Edinburgh. With her, the guy and Elizabeth possess five youngsters. Their eldest, Prince Charles, is first in range to progress Queen E II, with his sons, Prince William, is actually second in-line. Charles’s young kid, Prince Harry, was third in line getting the majority of his life up until Prince William and you may girlfriend Catherine, brand new Duchess out-of Cambridge, got their around three pupils, just who bumped Prince Harry as a result of sixth in-line.
The latest Lineages off Elizabeth and you will Philip
The royal categories of Europe apparently intermarried, both to keep their royal bloodlines and to maintain certain balance of strength amongst the individuals empires. King E II and you will Prince Philip is actually one another pertaining to Queen Victoria. Elizabeth are a direct descendant out-of King Victoria, the girl higher-great-grandma. Doing work in reverse after a while, the new link can be tracked:
- Elizabeth’s father are George VI (1895 in order to 1952). The guy ) from inside the 1925, as well as had one or two girl, Age II, and you may Little princess Margaret.
- George VI’s father try George V (1865 so you can 1936), Elizabeth’s father. The guy partnered Mary out-of Teck (1867 so you can 1953) in 1893, a Italian language princess increased inside The united kingdomt.
- George V’s father is actually Edward VII (1841 to help you 1910). Elizabeth’s higher-daddy. He partnered Alexandra away from Denmark (1844 in order to 1925), good Danish little princess.
- Edward VII’s mommy are Queen Victoria (1819 so you’re able to 1901), Elizabeth’s high-great-granny. She partnered Prince Albert regarding Saxe-Coburg and you may Gotha in 1840.
- Philip’s mom, Princess Alice out of Battenberg (1885 so you can 1969), hitched his dad, Prince Andrew away from Greece and you may Denmark (1882 to 1944), in the 1903.
- Princess Alice’s mommy try Princess Victoria away from Hesse by Rhine (1863 to 1950), Philip’s maternal grandma. Princess Victoria is hitched to help you Prince Louis out of Battenberg (1854 so you’re able to 1921) within the 1884.
- Little princess Victoria regarding Hesse and by the new Rhine try brand new child away from Little princess Alice of your United kingdom (1843 to 1878), Philip’s great-granny. Which Princess Alice is hitched in order to Louis IV (1837 to help you 1892), Huge Duke regarding Hesse by this new Rhine.
- Princess Alice’s mother try King Victoria, Philip’s higher-great-granny.
Up until 2015, Queen Victoria had been the fresh longest-governing monarch regarding reputation for England, the You.K., or The united kingdom. King E exceeded one to listing from 63 many years and 216 weeks, towards . Each other queens married princes of their own solutions, somewhat seem to love suits, who had been happy to support their reigning monarch wives.
One another was committed to its responsibilities given that monarch. Even in the event Victoria withdrew having a time when mourning this lady husband’s rather early and unexpected dying, she is actually a dynamic monarch, even yet in ill-health, until her demise. At this writing, Age, also, has been furthermore productive.
Each other passed on the latest crown a little suddenly. Victoria’s father, who predeceased the woman, had three more mature brothers in advance of him inside the series, nothing out of just who got people whom survived in order to inherit the fresh new award. Elizabeth’s father became king as long as his earlier aunt, King Edward, have a glance at the weblink abdicated when he won’t were able to wed the lady the guy picked and remain king.
Victoria and you can Age each other famous Diamond Jubilees, but just after half a century with the throne, Victoria was in ill health and had not all years kept to call home. Age, in comparison, continues to care for a public agenda shortly after a 1 / 2-century out-of signal. Within Victoria’s jubilee occasion inside the 1897, The united kingdom you will definitely rightfully claim to be many prominent empire on earth, which have colonies from around the world. Twenty-first-century The uk, in comparison, are a significantly-reduced stamina, which have relinquished almost all of the empire.